Home Insurance FAQs

Cover and Benefits

  • What is the difference between Home Content and Home Content & Building Insurance?
  • Home Content refers to any physical and movable household items or personal belongings including money and valuables kept within the premises that belong to you or your family members. 

    Building refers to the building structure of your home. For Housing Development Board (HDB) flats, condominiums, apartments or cluster houses, it will include the building structure (but not the foundations), fixtures and fittings based on HDB’s or the property developer’s standard specifications. For landed properties such as bungalows, semi-detached and terrace houses, it will include the building structure (but not the foundations), garages, outbuildings, swimming pools, terraces, footpaths, driveways, gardens, gates, fences and other private areas you own and which the public do not have access to.

  • What type of Home Contents Insurance is right for me?
    First of all, price is a natural consideration but there are definitely other factors worth thinking through in selecting your solution. Saving a few hundred dollars’ worth of premium, does easily not outweigh potential risk exposure to mishaps around your home. As a positive step toward risk management, just ensure your plan is tailored to match your needs and circumstances at a reasonable price.
  • What should I consider when choosing a Home Contents Insurance plan?
  • Price is commonly used as a basis among buyers when selecting a home contents insurance plan. With increasing competition among insurers, buyers are spoilt for choice in the marketplace. The focus should fall upon the following key factors besides price:


    1. “Insured perils” vs “All risks” – This determines how extensive risk exposures are covered under the plan.
    2. “First loss” vs “Full sum insured” – This determines the value of the financial losses or damages claimable against the plan. Claims settled on a First Loss basis are without penalty for being under-insured. Under the “Average Clause”, the insurers can reduce payment on a claim by the percentage you are under-insured.
    3. Valuables – Home Contents Insurance normally has a sub-limit for unspecified items. For full-cover, valuables must be itemised for insurer’s review and additional premium. Examples of valuables are watches, paintings, works of art, jewellery, antiques, precious stones and other collectable items.
    4. Deciding sum insured for your home contents – The general rule of thumb is the replacement cost of your content should it be completely destroyed.
    5. Common exclusions – They may differ among insurers and hence it is prudent to take a closer look when doing comparisons.
  • Do I need to list down all household contents in order to be covered?
  • No, there is no need to declare or list down. A total value for the household contents is declared instead, representing the sum insured for the policy. To ensure your contents are appropriately covered, we would recommend you to itemise them for completeness check.

  • What insurance do HDB homeowners need?
  • With existing property loan from:

    1. HDB: HDB Fire Insurance is compulsory. A plan covering home contents and renovations would be appropriate.
    2. Banks: Usually, fire insurance is packaged with the loan. A plan covering home contents and renovations would be appropriate. In absence of fire insurance, recommended to include cover for building into your plan.
  • What insurance do Condominium homeowners need?
  • With existing property loan from the bank, a plan covering home contents and renovations would be appropriate. The MCST (Management Corporation Strata Title) insurance only takes care of the development (building) and common areas.

See all 12 articles

General & Eligibility

  • Are you a home owner or tenant?
  • Depending on whether you are a home (property) owner/ landlord or tenant, your requirement for a Home Contents Insurance plan may differ.
    • A home owner has clearly vested interests in protecting his home contents against potential financial losses or damages.
    • A non-staying landlord may have concerns about the household items provided in a fully or partially furnished rented room/ apartment.
    • A tenant, on the other hand, should be mindful of his own contents and any other responsibilities specified in the tenancy agreement.
  • Do I need Home Contents Insurance?
    You buy Home Contents Insurance to protect what you own. Home Contents Insurance is a general insurance plan designed to protect the value of movable items within a residential property. Home Contents Insurance therefore, complements Building Insurance. Safety at home and the risks around contents are often taken for granted so the importance of insurance protection is easily downplayed. However, the reality remains. Floods, fires, burglary or other unforeseen disasters continue to manifest our daily lives beyond anyone’s control.
  • When am I a tenant and when am I an owner?
  • You are a tenant or co-tenant when you are occupying the premises in Singapore rented from a landlord. 

    You are an owner or co-owner when you possess ownership rights or legal title to the premises in Singapore.

  • How much time does it take to process the Home Insurance policy?
  • Once we confirm with you that we have collected your premium through our online payment gateway, you would have successfully purchased your policy. This should take a minute or two, and you will then be insured.

  • How do I compare different Home policies
  • You can do so when you have arrived at Compare page (Step 3 of 5).

    To compare different policies:

    1. Tick the Add to compare box on each policy card
    2. Select up to a maximum of 3 policies to compare and click Compare.

    Here, the comparison of the policies selected can be found. Click and expand the various sections to see the comparison of each coverage.


  • I am moving from a HDB to a condominium can I extend my policy to my new property?
  • If you have an existing HDB Fire insurance policy, it would not be applicable to a condominium. Upon relocating to your new property, add cover to your home (building) in your existing home insurance (covering renovation and home contents) or purchase a brand new home insurance policy.

See all 10 articles